After 2 weeks and 2 days, Cow Abduct! has been submitted!
Here are the previous progress reports:
The original plan was to produce a small, polished game from start to finish in two weeks and submit on the 14th of May. I managed to submit on the 16th*, only 2 days over the original deadline so I'm very happy with that.
*Technically, I submitted at 2am on the 17th, but I'm going to let that slide ;)
I managed to knock off most of the remaining tasks on Monday. Implementing the in app purchase to remove advertising went a lot quicker than I expected and so did the extra polish tasks. After that, most of the time was spent on testing and debugging. Below are some of the main issues I encounted:
Admob, I had issues with iADs not falling back to AdMob properly, and general issues with the AdMob banner misbehaving and popping up/going away when it shouldn't. There was just a lot of general testing and stuffing around with this.
Memory leak in cocos2d-x. While profiling the game, I found that I was leaking 32 bytes per frame. Leaking *anything* per frame is pretty bad. I traced it down to a call to cocos2d-x's CCLabelBMFont::setString, which was allocating 32 bytes when it was called. I looked through cocos2d-x's diff history and it looks like the whole text rendering system was given an overhaul and optimised recently, which is why I didn't see this bug in my previous game. This wasn't too hard to patch myself, I basically got rid of the heap alloc and used some fixed memory.
Strange bug in cocos2d-x where the keyboard would just pop up and stay there after clicking an ad. Luckily someone else had ran into this, and a patch was made available to fix the issue.
The issues in cocos2d-x highlight the importance of having source access to any third party libraries you rely on, especially if you are pressed for time. You can't always rely on bugs being fixed or coming out in a timely enough manner for you, and when you are far enough into a project, patching is a lot easier than upgrading the whole library.
Anyway, following on from what I've been doing in previous update posts, here is a dump of my Perforce changelist:
Cow Abduct! will be available for free on the App Store very soon!